http://catherinedowling.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Stop-sign.png 600 600 Catherine Dowling http://catherinedowling.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/cd_logocream-300x60.png Catherine Dowling2014-09-16 18:00:492014-08-31 02:53:397 Ways to Silence Your Inner Critic
Self-Criticism can be lethal for our health and happiness. Here are 7 ways to silence your inner critic quickly.
- Write it Down: Keep a daily list of all the critical things you tell yourself.
- Tell and Imaginary Child: Imagine a child standing before you. Criticize them from the list you’ve made for yourself.
- Visualize: See your critical thoughts floating away in bubbles, on clouds, whatever resonates with you visually.
- Create a Stop Sign: settle on a signal to yourself that will act as a stop sign for self criticism when you catch yourself in the act. Example: press your thumb and middle finger together while taking a deep breath.
- Comfort Yourself with a Physical Gesture: It could be anything – rub the back of your hand gently, touch your face with soft fabric, skip, jump – whatever sooths you.
- Replace the Criticism with something affirming. Create the affirmation that resonates with you and have it handy when self-criticism strikes.
- Practice Awareness (Mindfulness): Become aware of your critical thoughts but detach from them. Let them float by as if they were boats on a river passing before you.