The world of spirituality is full of contradictions that aren’t contradictions at all. But you don’t know that until you have broken through the world of rationality into the world of spiritual awareness. In the world of spiritual awareness, mind and spirit are one, yet mind can both enhance and handicap the development of spiritual awareness.
Mind enhances spiritual awareness through:
- Curiosity – a powerful driving force for exploration
- Objective Reason – a powerful protector in a world of sometimes dubious claims and practices.
- Understanding and processing spiritual experiences and truths – essential if we want to put spirituality into action in our lives.
- Being able to learn from experience
Mind handicaps spiritual awareness through:
- Excessive reliance on rationality and objective reason
- Trying to control life and the people in it
- Holding tightly to the lessons we have learned from our experiences to the detriment of the new.
It’s best explained through yin and yang. Yin turns into yang and yang into yin, night turns into day and day to night. The mind processes and holds onto the lessons we’ve learned from life. The lessons are often painful and this leads to suffering. That suffering sends us searching for a solution. That solution is often the awakening to our own spirituality and that awakening changes our minds.
There is no divide between psychology and spirituality. They are one and that fact is the key to putting spirituality into action in everyday life.
Step two: embrace your mind. It’s not your enemy. It might just need some soothing and taming.
Everyone has something to teach. Share your wisdom – make a comment.